The Kodak Picture Saver Scanning System is ideal for digitizing box loads of old printed photographs. This unique high-quality, high-speed professional variety of photo scanner digitally preserves, as well as renders the images available to be used with the ever growing number of photo-sharing apps.
However, along with the fond memories that come with old photos, there is other ‘stuff’. This includes various forms of debris, scrap, or dust that gets picked up along the way, as these treasures find themselves stored in all sorts of conditions and locations.
Understanding how these hitchhikers can impact image quality is important to continuously producing the best photo scanning results. A periodic scanner cleaning helps to control quality and guarantee optimum results. This applies for all photo scanning equipment.
Your scanner needs to be cleaned periodically. If your photos do not feed easily, if several photos feed at the same time or if streaks appear on your images, it is time to clean your scanner.
The information below details cleaning of the Kodak Picture Saver Scanning Systems. If the scanner you are using to digitize photos is other than a Kodak PS50 or PS80, be sure to check with its manufacturer for the recommended cleaning specifications.
Cleaning the Rollers
1. Open the scanner cover.
2. With a roller cleaning pad, wipe the feed rollers from side to side. Rotate the feed rollers to clean the entire surface.
3. Dry the rollers with a lint-free cloth.
The separation module should be removed from the scanner for best cleaning results.
1. Push the separation module up to snap out and lift it out of position.
2. Manually rotate and wipe the separation module tires with a roller cleaning pad.
3. Inspect the separation module. If the separation module tires show signs of wear or damage, replace the tires or the separation module.
4. Insert the separation module by aligning the tabs with the slots and snapping it into position.
When removing or cleaning the feed module, it may be easier to access the feed module if you remove the input tray. To remove the input tray, gently push the input tray to the left or right to release the pin from the slot, and lift it out of position.
NOTE: Be careful not to damage the paper present sensor when removing or cleaning around the feed module.
1. Pull against the raised edge of the feed module cover and lift it up and out of position.
2. Rotate the feed module forward and push it to the left to lift it out of position.
3. Manually rotate and wipe the feed module tires with a roller cleaning pad.
4. Inspect the feed module. If the feed module tires show signs of wear or damage, replace the tires or the feed module.
5. Using a vacuum cleaner attachment or cleaning pad, remove dust and debris from the feed module area.
6. Reinstall the feed module by aligning the pins and pushing it toward the left to fit it into position. Be sure the gears are aligned and it snaps into place. Roll the feed module back into place.
7. Reinstall the feed module cover by aligning the tabs with the slots and pushing it back into position until it snaps into place.
Vacuuming the Scanner
Before cleaning the imaging area, it is suggested that you vacuum the inside of the scanner to remove any dust and debris.
1. Wipe the upper and lower imaging area using a “Step 1” Brillianize Detailer wipe. Be careful not to scratch the imaging area when cleaning.
2. Wipe the upper and lower imaging area again using the “Step 2” Brillianize Detailer wipe to remove any debris and polish the surface.
3. When finished, close the scanner cover with both hands. NOTE: Do not blow any air into the open imaging area. A static whisk brush can be used to gently clean the mirrors inside the camera.
1. Remove the wrapping from the Transport Cleaning Sheet.
2. Adjust the side guides to fit the cleaning sheet.
3. Place a transport cleaning sheet in the input tray (adhesive side facing you) in portrait orientation.
4. Using your scanning application, scan the transport scanning sheet.
5. After the transport cleaning sheet is scanned, turn it over (adhesive side facing the input tray) and scan it again.
6. Open the scanner cover and wipe the imaging area with a lint-free cloth included with the Brillianize Detailer wipes.
7. Close the scanner cover with both hands.
8. Check your image quality.
9. If necessary, repeat this procedure until all residue is removed from the rollers.
NOTE: When a transport cleaning sheet gets very dirty, discard it and use a new one.
Comments will be approved before showing up.